No Woman Turned Away
Supporting women and their children fleeing domestic abuse, who face barriers when trying to access a safe refuge.
The No Woman Turned Away (NWTA) project has been funded by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC) since January 2016. It provides dedicated support and telephone advocacy to women experiencing domestic abuse who face barriers in accessing a refuge space or safe accommodation.
The barriers survivors face may include having additional support needs around mental health, substance abuse, disability, or language. Women may have no recourse to public funds, with no access to other support because of their insecure immigration status, they may have large families, or families with boys over 14. There may be other barriers – e.g., not having credit to make the phone call to a refuge, high anxiety levels that mean they are unable to make calls themselves, or other barriers as this is not an exhaustive list. If you’re a Women’s Aid member service and you’d like to find out more about the referral criteria, you can review all of the barriers to support the team can help with as part of the referral process.
A team of specialist domestic abuse practitioners receive referrals from Women’s Aid member services, and we conduct detailed monitoring and analysis of survivors’ experiences alongside this. Currently, all referrals accepted into the project come from Women’s Aid Member Services and all services showing on Routes to Support. The project is unable to accept direct referrals from Statutory Agencies.
- If you work for a Women’s Aid member service, you can log into the Members’ Area and refer someone to No Woman Turned Away.
- If you have access to Routes to Support, you can log in and make a referral here
- If you don’t have access to Routes to Support, you can find out more here. This is the UK-wide online database for domestic abuse services, available to refuge and domestic violence service providers and you can apply for access to Routes to Support here.
- Contact our dedicated service for professionals to find information on refuge vacancies and other services if you don’t have access to Routes to Support
- If you’re a survivor who has barriers to accessing refuge or safe accommodation, you can find out more about the No Woman Turned Away project by getting in touch with direct services through our Live Chat
- Speak to other women in our supportive community of domestic abuse survivors